I got a slow mental start to the day but when I received an email from one of the New School organizers I woke up immediately…his email read: “New school occupied. Riot cops deployed.”
Here are some useful links to get you up to speed on the story.
- A timeline of New School occupation-related tweets via NYU Local “Twitter: New School Occupied“
- NY1: Police Monitor New School Student Protest (w video)
- NY Times City Room Blog: Students Occupy New School Building, Again –which just changed its titled to read “Police Storm Occupied New School Building“
- Washington Square News: New School Students Take Over Building…which reported:
Earlier, the members of the group hung banners and red and black anarchy flags and were parading around the roof with bandannas masking their faces. Around 9:30 a.m., police officers were observed on the roof of the adjacent building. Just before 11:00 a.m., police made their way down a ladder to the top of the New School building, where they took down the protesters’ signs and flags.
- A friend just tweeted that according to Channel 7, 200 cops are there.
- New School blogger: “Rally NOW at 6th Precinct! Let’s get them free! 233 w10th at Bleecker. NOW” (via StudentActivism)
This is turning into some story.
UPDATE: “Police have retaken occupied New School building. 19 arrests – 15 men, 4 women.” (via StudentActivism, follow their tweets here)
Leave a Reply